Monkey Abroad

Videos and stories of the life abroad – food, culture, travel & work

Tea in China

(VIDEO) How NOT to Drink Tea in China

| 8 Comments

For the rest of your life, would you trade coffee for tea? ‘Not for all the tea in China,’ I once thought. But these days, tea is growing on me. Tea and traditions date back thousands of years in China. I invite you to join me today to learn a thing or two about ancient Chinese tea-drinking customs, as well as how NOT to drink tea in China. Watch and enjoy!

It’s a beautiful day outside. The only thing that could make it any better: if you joined me for a hot cup of tea πŸ˜‰

Unlike drinking tea in the west, Chinese people simply dump the dry tea leaves right into the cup. A tablespoon or so should do for one cup, but that’s all up to your taste preference.

In Chinese tea culture, you’re never supposed to pour a full cup of tea. 70% of the glass is for tea. The remaining 30% is for your emotions, according to some Chinese tea experts.

If you invite guests over for tea, it’s considered rude if you pour the tea all the way to the brim, as it may symbolize that you aren’t giving your guest enough space.

A cup of coffee has about 100 to 150 mg of caffeine. A cup of green tea has about 25 mg of caffeine. This statistic is malleable, as you can see in my video. It’s actually quite easy to pour a cup of tea with well over 200 mg of caffeine. That’s how I like my tea: strong, lacking cultural sensitivity, full to the brim.

Thank you for joining me for tea today. It was my pleasure having you, and I hope to see you again soon.

Author: Kevin Cook

I want to inspire you to pursue your own dream of traveling and/or living overseas!

8 Comments

  1. Nice video Kevin. All settled in China already? Looking forward to more posts.

  2. Fabulous piece. Wonder who taught you to drink your tea and coffee as strong as a truck driver? Adored the background music!

  3. I had my coffee with you this morning. There are people here that swear by green tea for its health properties. You are lookin good!

  4. Dude I can’t get the tea to stay at the bottom of my cup without my steeper. Must be the molecular weight of Chinas fresh tea!

  5. That was interesting information; now I know how to drink that Jasmine tea I got in China πŸ˜€

Let me know what you think

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: